Twitter

Tuesday, October 1, 2024

2% Illuminated Moon & Comet Search

Location:  Saint John, NB

Date Time:  October 1st, 2024 0615-0645hrs

Weather:  Slight breeze, very humid, lots of dew, no bugs, mostly clear but a little hazy, 9C and 90% humidity.

Objective:  To view and image Comet Atlas-Tsuchinshan, which was reported to be next to the thin waning crescent Moon.

Report:

  • Searched for the comet for over 20 mins with binoculars, and could not see any sign of a comet.  Images didn't reveal the comet either.  A beautiful morning sky, including a very thin, 2% waning crescent Moon made it an enjoyable search.


Comet search eastern/south eastern sky.


Note to commenter:  This platform or google(same thing?) blocked me from commenting, for some reason.  Here is my response.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!  Below the image you worked on is another image I took of the eastern and south eastern horizon.  I felt that was beyond where the comet could be, according to it's reported location, but as I'm still trying to locate it, I took a huge swath of eastern sky simply trying to locate it.  Just finding this comet is turning into a story in itself.


1 comment:

  1. I took the liberty of copying your photo and taking it into my graphics editor. Your chopped-off Moon is 50px wide, so a full Moon is 100px wide, and since that's 1/2 deg., a full degree would be 200px. According to SkySafariPro, the comet was just over 12 degrees away to the right on a horizontal line with the Moon for St. John's, and that would be 2400px. Your photo cuts off at 1920px--that's why it doesn't show the comet. As for visual, I'm in Utah and haven't seen it either, even with binoculars. Nice photos, by the way. We both post to spaceweather.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive